1. Decide which one do you want
Do you want to use your portable hot tub indoors or outdoors? Your answer to this question will determine the size of the hot tub you should purchase. The spa size will, of course, depend mostly on the available space you have. Do you want an inexpensive inflatable spa or would you rather buy a portable but non-inflatable spa that is more expensive?
2. Conditions of placement
After determining the size of the tub, the next thing is to think deeper about the area where you want to place the spa. The area you decided on in step 1 must fulfill the following conditions:
- You must be able to drain water effectively, this usually isn’t a problem unless you want to put your spa somewhere below terrain level.
- Shouldn’t require any additional plumbing. This is to reduce cost. And that’s good, isn’t it?
- If the position where you intend to place the tub requires stairway passage, you have to consider the dimensions of the stairs before buying the hot tub. Consider how you are going to be able to pass the tub on the stairs to your desired position
- Tubs will create a humid and moist environment, so is the area where you want to place the tub able to handle it without problems, for example – mold?
- Must have strong flooring. While inflatable and portable hot tubs are relatively lightweight, the water is very heavy – in thousands of pounds. Thus, the floor where they will be placed must be strong. To determine how strong your floor is, you have to call the professionals to help you out.
3. Heat adjustment
Any hot tub you intend to buy must have a means whereby you can adjust the heat of the tub. This adjustment knob can either be a manual one or an automatic one. So which one do you prefer?
4. Power supply
Be sure that your power outlet is capable of delivering needed amperage/watts. Think about lighting your hot tub. Some come with an inbuilt mood light, but most do not. There are times when you just want to soak yourself in the tub and also get a few minutes of reading done. These fancy lights come in handy especially if you want to have a soak in the night. Apart from making use of the light for reading, you may buy a colored led lights for creating pleasant ambient atmosphere lighting.
5. Availability of spare parts
You definitely want a tub whose parts are readily available in the market. It would not be good if you have to throw away your whole hot tub in a case when heater breaks down. Just be sure to buy a hot tub from a well-known brand.
As with all products, the tub you intend to buy must also come with a warranty. A warranty of 6 months to one year is not out of this world. Also, keep an eye on the reviews for the particular manufacturer to know whether or not they keep their warranties – if they do not, simply look for another manufacturer. A warranty assures you that if anything goes wrong within the stipulated period, you are assured that it is going to get fixed.